Wednesday 17 July 2013

Back to School Makeup Ideas


Hello guys! It's now summer time meaning that those of you who go to school will be breaking up for the summer. Now I know this may be a little early, but I think that it's better to be prepared. Lots of younger girls in secondary school seems to be at the age where they will be experimenting with makeup. I know my 13 year old younger sister is. So, I thought I'd write a post on makeup you could wear to school. This post isn't trying to encourage younger girls to wear makeup at all (you're young..enjoy it whilst you can!!) but I thought it might be helpful for those who are curious. Hope you enjoy!

Most schools that I'm aware of don't allow pupils to wear heavy makeup at school. This could be for many reasons. It could be to make you look smart (fits in with the uniform thing) or it could be a distraction. Either way, rules are rules. I have used my little sister Megan and her friend Natalie to practise different makeup looks on, and showed them how they can do it themselves!

As I've said, a general school rule is no heavy makeup. This means (I imagine) no full face, no strong brows, natural looking makeup. I taught the girls a little trick for their base makeup that'll cover any blemishes/spots and is really easy to do - use foundation as a concealer. Foundations tend to be a lot thinner in consistency then a concealer, so when blended very lightly over blemishes it looks really natural but still covers any redness.

On the girls, I used a few different foundations such as Benefit Oxygen Wow or Mac Studio Sculpt. Both worked really well, but are quite expensive to save up for with pocket money. Cheaper alternatives that also work really well are Rimmel's Wake Me Up Foundation, £8.99 or Miss Sporty Morning Baby BB Cream  £3.49. After blending with my fingers, the girl's skin looked beautiful and flawless, but still very natural.

Below are some ideas of different makeup looks that would be suitable for school.



This is my baby sister Megan. She's recently become quite interested in makeup, so I thought of a look that would be really easy for beginners to do, and fit in with school rules. On her face, I used my MAC Studio Sculpt in NW20 as she's quite pale. I dotted that around her blemishes (any redness or darker areas) as you would do a concealer. I then blended that so it looked even. Any medium coverage foundation would work with this.

Afterwards, I dusted a little Rimmel Stay Matte Powder all over her face. This powder is very popular with a lot of makeup artists and beauty bloggers, it stays put all day and is great value for money too! I then popped a little bit of Natural Collection Blushed Cheeks in Pink Cloud over her cheekbones.

I let Megan choose which eye shadow colours she wanted, and she chose two from my Ted Baker Can't Take My Eyes Off You palette. She chose the dark bronze/gold colour at the end and the shimmery cream colour a few pans down. I put the lighter colour all over her lid and blended the gold colour into her crease and outer corners and that was the result (above). Obviously I was careful not to pack too much colour on there, but I really like the shimmery effect it left and it looks really pretty.

I then added one coat of Rimmel Scandal Eyes Mascara in Extreme Black, but I didn't put any on her bottom lashes so that it still looked minimalistic and natural.

For lips, Megan wasn't really keen on any colour. So I just put some Carmex on them to make them look really healthy and glossy. Carmex is brilliant for chapped/sore lips and works in minutes!




For Natalie, the skin routine was pretty much the same. But for her eyes, she chose a matte dark blue colour and the shimmery cream colour from my Ted Baker Palette. Natalie has beautiful big green eyes so I thought the blue would look lovely next to them. I placed the shimmery colour all over her lid and into her crease. I then very lightly blended the tiniest amount of the blue into her outer corners and towards the middle of her lid. I really loved the effect it left, a really minimalistic smokey eye that is suitable for school. I then popped a little bit of Rimmel London Lash Accelerator Endless Mascara in Black on her lashes.

To finish the look, I added a little bit of Rimmel 1000 Kisses Lip Tint in Stay Very Berry. It's long lasting colour but not too pigmented, perfect for school.


I hope this post was useful to you guys! I'd love to hear about what products you use for school and any other tips I can pass on to my sister. Ciao! .x.

2 comments:

  1. great post! following <3

    from helen at thelovecatsinc | bloglovin'

    ps. enter my new giveaway to win a goodie bag of beauty products! click here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! :) ill follow back x

    ReplyDelete

Followers